Monday, October 22, 2007

Low Tech Ways To Defeat Hackers

I love the simplicity of this approach. Information Week and Computer World both ran stories with easy-to-use low-tech methods for defeating hackers.

The techniques revolve around slandering hackers on web sites used for publicly trading malware. The idea is that the sale and marketing of malware is like any other business. It's based on a handshake and a gentleman's agreement. A sort of honor among thieves, if you will, in this case.

The articles say that traditional law enforcement methods, up until now, which have been about taking down hacking infrastructure, crooked ISPs and breaking up illicit computer networks don't always work. Just as soon as they're taken down, someone else crops up to build new hardware for criminals.

An interesting idea, but I'm not sure how it'll work out. Time will tell.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Internet Security should be of the utmost importance when you have children at home that regularly use the computers in your home. My children often visit sites that send things like spyware, malware, and the like to the computer they are on. I’ve normally use a ton of different applications to ensure that my network remains secure but I kept having a lot of problems.

I did some extensive security research about a month ago and found a company called eEye and ultimately ended up purchasing a few different applications that have really helped with individual desktop security as well as general network security. Since I started using their applications I have had far less headaches since these programs have really helped to keep things like viruses and malware out of my computers. A welcome change indeed. Now I fear my kids using my computers far less than I did before.

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home